To advance environmental stewardship in our community by connecting people to nature, teaching sustainable gardening practices, and promoting fresh and healthy food to people of all ages through garden based programs.
Designed in 1928 by Chicago architect Clarence Hatzfeld in collaboration with the famous greenhouse manufacturers Lord and Burnham. It was originally built as a small conservatory but in 1934, the Chicago Park District took over the Irving Park District and converted it into a production greenhouse using WPA funds. The greenhouse consists of a main room (the original showroom/conservatory). Two additional greenhouses are dedicated to the plant production for the North Region’s fieldhouse plant displays. The greenhouse is part of the Multiple Property Listing for KIlbourn Park on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1996 community residents were successful in reopening it as a teaching greenhouse and began the annual organic plant sale and other park programming. Recent outdoor improvements (as of the last ten years) include; patio for activities, children’s raised garden plots, 25 community garden plots, native plants garden, and a dozen fruit trees.
The Friends of Kilbourn Park Organic Greenhouse formed in 2007 as a community group devoted to supporting the greenhouse through fundraising and volunteering hours. Since its conception, Friends has raised over $345,000 towards the new roof. Other accomplishments include:
Would you like to help? Volunteer with us!
No time to volunteer? We accept donations!